Laser hair removal can make unwanted hair a thing of the past
Click here to watch Laser hair Removal videos
Laser hair removal is an exciting part of Dr. Downie's Montclair, New Jersey practice. Unwanted hair on the face, neck, ears, underarms, chest, back, bikini area, legs, or other parts of the body is unattractive and requires hours of your time to wax, shave, chemically remove, or pluck. With laser hair removal treatments by a trained dermatologist, you can safely and effectively thin or remove that hair.
Laser hair removal permanently destroys the follicle, so that hair cannot regrow. However, only hairs in an active growth stage respond to the laser. Because of hair's natural growth cycle, it can take many treatment sessions over a period of months to remove hair completely from a given area of your body.
Remove unwanted hair faster and more effectively
"Worth every dollar, can't imagine receiving treatment from any other dermatologist! Dr. Downie is very professional, courteous, knowledgeable and resourceful."
~ Anonymous ~
The hair in the treatment area will be trimmed or shaved as close to the skin’s surface as possible. The laser is adjusted to the proper setting for the skin color, as well as the location, and thickness of the hair. The skin will be protected with a cooling device or cold gel, and the eyes will be protected with appropriate eyewear. All make-up, sunscreen and aftershave are completely rinsed off.
A pulse of light is given to the area. The light passes through the skin to the hair follicle, damaging it and inhibiting future hair growth. This is done without damaging the skin. Laser hair removal is well tolerated, but some patients feel a bit of a sting.
After laser hair removal
There may be some slight redness for a few hours following treatment. Mild discomfort may be experienced, but is easily managed with ice. A soothing cream may be recommended. The use of a broad-spectrum sunscreen (SPF 30 or above) daily after treatment with reapplication is essential.
Potential risks and complications are rare
Uncommon, but known, risks of treatment are blisters and crusting. It is important the treatment be performed by a skilled, experienced technician using the proper equipment. Dr. Downie's hair removal lasers are FDA-approved, safe and effective for all skin types. We do not recommend laser for tanned skin.
Answers to some commonly asked questions.
- What areas of the body can receive laser hair removal treatment?
Virtually any area of the body except around the eyes can be treated.
- How long does the treatment take?
The length of the session is determined by the area being treated. The upper lip can take as little as 5 minutes, legs or back can require an hour or more.
- Who can receive this treatment?
The laser targets pigmentation of the hair follicle in order to remove it. Gray or white hairs do not respond, so it is important to think about laser hair removal in your 30s and 40s, to avoid a race against time. Otherwise, virtually everyone is a candidate for laser hair removal. We have patients as young as 7 years old to patients over eighty. Dr. Downie's office has three laser systems, accommodating all skin colors.
- How many treatments will be required?
Dr. Downie recommends regular appointments every four to six weeks, which may need to be continued for at over a year to see permanent results. However, patients that continue to come in for laser sessions are amazed at the results. Dr. Downie knows this first-hand – she has completed laser hair removal on her own legs and underarms and has not had to shave in six years!
Call and schedule a consultation today in Dr. Downie’s Montclair, New Jersey office by calling 855-847-7177, you can make unwanted hair a thing of the past.
- Affordable Laser Hair Removal Essex Fells - Are common options more affordable than professional laser hair removal?
- Candidate for Laser Hair Reduction Glen Ridge - Are you a candidate for laser hair reduction?
- Cost of Laser Hair Removal Essex Fells - Temper the cost of laser hair removal by maximizing the power of laser energy
- Laser Hair Removal Montclair - Are you a good candidate for laser hair removal?
- Laser Hair Removal Glen Ridge - Fact or fiction: Common beliefs about laser hair removal explained
- Laser Hair Reduction Montclair - Laser hair removal vs. laser hair reduction in Montclair
- Laser Hair Removal Essex Fells - What to expect from laser hair removal treatment
- Laser Hair Removal in Essex Fells NJ - Is laser hair removal right for you?
- Laser Hair Removal Essex Fells NJ - The benefits of laser hair removal