Acne Treatment at Montclair , NJ
What is acne?When skin is healthy, dead cells rise to the surface layer, and are naturally shed. However, sometimes they can combine with skin oil and clog pores, resulting in acne. If propionibacterium acnes bacteria are trapped inside the pores, they will multiply rapidly causing painful and unsightly cysts.
The symptoms of acne include:
Acne treatmentMost people affected by acne begin treating it with over the counter products. Sometimes this approach can be effective, but it can be challenging to find the right formula for your skin type. If it is too harsh, or contains irritants, it may aggravate the problem. Additionally, untreated severe acne can lead to long-term scarring.
If your current regimen is not yielding satisfactory results, it is important to see a dermatologist for diagnosis and customized treatment. Some skin conditions can manifest with acne-like symptoms, but they require very different treatment. Dr. Downie will begin with an examination, and then discuss your options.
Treatment options for acne include:
- Topical medication such as antibiotics, topical retinoids, or benzoyl peroxide formulas
- Oral antibiotics or other oral medications
- Chemical peels and other skin rejuvenation techniques
- Extracting blackheads and draining cysts
- Sunscreen helps prevent dark spots from forming as acne heals
- Guidance in developing an effective at-home care regimen