Effective rosacea management begins with recognizing symptoms
It is estimated that well over 14 million Americans have rosacea. The figure is estimated, in part, because this skin condition often goes undiagnosed, or is incorrectly treated as acne, psoriasis, discoid lupus erythematosus, or simply a fair complexion prone to blushing. Sadly, delayed treatment or inappropriate care allows rosacea to progress. Partnering with a Board certified dermatologist aids in accurate identification and effective management of rosacea. Dr. Jeanine Downie of image Dermatology ® P.C. helps patients throughout the Essex Fells area enjoy clearer complexions.
Symptoms of rosacea
Dr. Downie is vigilant for signs of rosacea (and other potential skin problems) during your annual full body screening appointment. However, you should call image Dermatology ® P.C. right away if you experience these symptoms of rosacea:
- Flushing. The most common and usually the earliest sign of rosacea is facial redness – frequent flushing or blushing.
- Persistent redness. It may resemble a blush or sunburn, but does not go away.
- Blemishes. Rosacea may trigger pus filled pimples or smaller solid red bumps. They look similar to acne, but sometimes sting, burn, or cause the skin to feel tight.
- Noticeable blood vessels. Rosacea sufferers often develop small visible blood vessels.
- Changes in skin texture. Facial complexion may appear dry and rough, or plaques (raised red patches) could show up.
- Eye irritation. Potential involvement of the eyes makes rosacea more serious. Be alert for recurring irritation, watery or bloodshot eyes, red and swollen lids, or frequent sties. Corneal damage and vision loss can occur without proper medical treatment.
- Swelling and thickening. In some cases rosacea causes edema (facial swelling). In severe instances, it results in skin on the nose thickening and enlarging.
- Rosacea beyond the face. Symptoms may also develop on the scalp, ears, neck, and chest.
Until there is a cure . . .
At this time rosacea is a chronic skin disorder and the exact cause is not yet known. However, dermatology has made tremendous advances in treatment techniques to minimize damage, reduce flare-ups, and increase remission periods.
Dr. Downie develops individualized treatment protocols. Care is customized for your skin type and lifestyle. She recommends a home skin care routine using high quality, non irritating products; gentle washing technique; and daily sun protection. She talks with you about the aesthetic benefits of special green-tinted makeup foundation to disguise redness. You’ll discuss lifestyle adjustments and how to avoid environmental factors that trigger flare-ups.
A program of oral antibiotics and prescription topical preparations, combined with non-invasive Excel V laser treatment or intense pulsed light (IPL) therapy gets rosacea under control effectively. As a rosacea sufferer, you aren’t alone. As a patient who wants empowerment over rosacea symptoms, you have a strong partner in Dr. Jeanine Downie. Call image Dermatology ® P.C. today at (973) 509-6900 to schedule an appointment.