Turning back the clock with Restylane – a filler for every need
Dr. Jeanine Downie is known nationally and internationally for her aesthetic dermatology expertise, particularly in the area of antiaging injectables. She has been working with dermal fillers for over two decades, and she uses them to maintain her own youthful appearance. Her practice, image Dermatology in Montclair, NJ is known as the go-to place for women and men who want to turn back the clock with reliable, natural-looking results. Restylane is one of the best known and most requested fillers, with a variety of different formulas to meet your individual needs.
How volume loss affects your face
The aging of skin happens subtly and gradually, yet it can accelerate quickly. At first you might notice a slightly less firm appearance, and a few fleeting lines. The next thing you know, skin is sagging, folds are forming, and wrinkles are etched in. Why does this happen? While there are many causative factors, one of the most significant is slow, steady decline of volume. If you are over the age of 30, volume loss in your face probably occurs at a rate of at least one teaspoon every year. That might not sound like a lot, but it quickly compounds, leading to a generally deflated, wrinkled appearance.
ACTUAL PATIENT RESULTS
Replacing what time has stolen
Thankfully, modern aesthetic medicine has an answer for volume loss, in the form of dermal filler treatment. There is a vast array of filler brands on the market, and a few different types of formulas. The first dermal fillers, introduced decades ago, were made with animal collagen. They were less than ideal for many reasons, including common allergic reactions among patients. Those early products are no longer in use, but years of scientific research has led to a variety of safe and effective alternatives.
Restylane was the first HA (hyaluronic acid) filler on the market, and it changed the face of antiaging treatment. HA is considered an ideal skin filler for many reasons, including biocompatibility. The human body naturally produces HA, it is found in the skin, the joints, and more. Therefore, we don’t need to worry about allergies or other adverse reactions. The natural function of HA is to retain moisture, and when injected, it restores youthful plumpness. Today, several different brands and formulas of HA on the market. Variations in processing yield different textures and viscosities of gels, making each formula uniquely suited to specific applications. Restylane remains one of the most popular brands, and it has expanded to encompass five different products.
Dr. Oz Show | March 7th, 2010
to book an appointment today.
The Restylane collection of fillers
No matter if you have mild or severe volume loss, in any area of the face or hands – Restylane has an ideal solution. Although commonly used for antiaging, these wonderful fillers can also be used to correct asymmetry or augment naturally thin features. Lip augmentation and the “nonsurgical nose job” are especially popular with patients of all ages.
The Restylane family includes:
- Restylane – The original and still one of the best fillers available, Restylane is now also available with numbing lidocaine (Restylane-L). Both products are FDA-approved for correcting nasolabial folds and other moderate to severe facial wrinkles. They are also approved for lip injections in patients over 21.
- Restylane Silk – This ultra-smooth formula was created for the delicate mouth area. It is FDA-approved for perioral wrinkles and lip augmentation in adults over the age of 21.
- Restylane Lyft – Designed for deep skin injections, this formula includes lidocaine for comfort. It has FDA approval for correcting age-related volume loss in the midface, including cheek injections and treating facial folds. Additionally, it is FDA approved for injection in the hands.
- Restylane Refyne – Formulated with trademarked XpresHAn Technology, Refyne is uniquely flexible and allows natural facial expressions. It is FDA approved for moderate to severe folds and wrinkles, with mid to deep injections in individuals over 21 years of age.
- Restylane Defyne – The sister-product of Refyne, Defyne also uses XpresHAn Technology for natural results and optimal facial movement. It is a thicker formula, used where a greater amount of volume is needed. Defyne has FDA approval for treating patients over the age of 21, for correction of deep wrinkles and folds in the face.