Patients ask: “Is Kybella double-chin treatment right for me?”
You’ve seen it on the news, social media, and your favorite beauty blogs. Maybe you’ve seen the results, when a friend’s or co-worker’s double chin disappeared. Now you are wondering, “Is Kybella right for me?” Montclair, NJ dermatologist Dr. Jeanine Downie is often asked that question, and more often than not, the answer is a resounding “Yes.” In fact, when administered by a skilled physician, the procedure is safe and wonderfully effective for most adults.
How Kybella is different
A first of its kind treatment, Kybella has changed the way we approach fat removal. Kybella is like liposuction in a needle and takes multiple treatments but works beautifully. It can be used under the chin, on the upper arms, in the stomach, in love handles, and in the inner thigh area. Before its introduction, there were essentially two options for treating stubborn fat pockets. One was surgery such as liposuction, and the other was nonsurgical energy-based treatments such as Vanquish. Neither of these options were ideal for submental fat (double chin). Because this area is cosmetically and medically sensitive, most people prefer a minimally-invasive solution. Yet, the anatomical structure of this area requires a level of precision that can be difficult to achieve with fat melting or freezing devices. Kybella was developed specifically to fill this unmet need.
The human body naturally produces deoxycholic acid, which breaks down fat in the digestive process. Kybella is formulated with a synthetic version of deoxycholic acid, dissolving and melting away fat wherever it is injected. It allows patients to enjoy liposuction-like results without a surgical procedure.
Why patients choose Kybella
Submental fullness, otherwise known as a double chin, is a particularly vexing problem for men and women of all ages. It is a small, but notoriously stubborn pocket of fat, and Kybella in the hands on an experienced physician can be the ideal solution. However, the benefits of this treatment are not limited to the chin area. Dr. Downie also uses it in other areas where precision fat removal is needed.
Kybella may be a good choice if you:
- Are bothered by the appearance of a double chin
- Have small, stubborn pockets of fat in other areas such as jowls, knees, or thighs
- Wish to smooth away anterior armpit fat
- Want to remove lipomas (rubbery feeling lumps of fat)
- Don’t want to go under the knife, but do want the best possible result
to book an appointment today.
Safety and contraindications
Kybella is appropriate for most reasonably healthy adults. However, it is not recommended for those with dysphagia (a medical condition that causes difficulty swallowing) or certain coagulation disorders. Dr. Downie will review your medical history and discuss any potential risks before recommending Kybella.
The safety, as well as cosmetic results, of this procedure are largely dependent on the skill of the injector. Kybella is a powerful medication, and small variations in dosage or injection location can impact the outcome. It could even damage tissue other than fat cells, if it were injected in the wrong location.
Patients in or near Montclair, NJ are fortunate to have access to one of the foremost Kybella doctors in the nation. Dr. Downie was one of the first physicians to administer the product, as an investigator during the initial Kybella clinical studies. She has been using it ever since, and currently trains other doctors in the procedure.
What you need to know about Kybella treatment
The actual procedure is fast and efficient, involving just a few simple injections. The minimally invasive nature of Kybella, coupled with reliable results, makes it a highly sought-after treatment. Dr. Downie highly recommends this procedure to appropriate patients. However, she also warns that the process is not quite as simple as it may sound. Here are a few things you need to understand if considering Kybella.
- Don’t expect immediate results – Actually, swelling will make the area appear larger for a few days, especially if this is your first session. Don’t be alarmed. The swelling is a side effect of the drug interacting with fat cells, meaning it is a sign that treatment is working. It will take a few weeks for the body to process and eliminate destroyed fat cells, reveling the true results.
- The procedure is not painful – The doctor will numb you with lidocaine so you can be comfortable during the procedure.
- Kybella takes several sessions – The first injections will eliminate a percentage of fat in the treated area, but it will take a few treatments to achieve optimal improvement. For most patients, a Kybella treatment plan will involve between four and six appointments.
- The results of treatment are permanent – Unlike most familiar injectables, Kybella doesn’t require touch-ups every few weeks or months. Once the series of injections has been completed, the excess fat is destroyed, and it should not return.