Aging isn’t inevitable in Glen Ridge, NJ, thanks to Fraxel Laser Treatment
As Marv Levy puts it, “Age is inevitable. Aging isn’t.” You may agree that age is just a number; it’s how young at heart you are that really matters. Even so, don’t you sometimes wish the face staring back from the mirror could look as young as you feel?
It can. Fraxel Laser Treatment restores the youthful complexion you yearn for, and it’s available near Glen Ridge, NJ, from renowned dermatologist Dr. Jeanine Downie. Repeatedly honored as one of New York Metropolitan’s Top Doctors, Dr. Downie has been providing Fraxel Laser Treatment at her practice, image Dermatology® PC in Montclair, NJ, since 2007. In fact, Dr. Downie uses Fraxel several times a year herself to keep her own skin looking younger and decrease her pigmentation.
To understand how the treatment works and the benefits that come with it, consider the six W’s of Fraxel:
WHO should have it?
Fraxel Restore is an effective treatment for people dealing with the following skin imperfections:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Scarring from surgery, injury, or acne
- Pigmentation and discolored skin, such as brown age spots, or melasma (areas of darkened skin sometimes referred to as “the mask of pregnancy”)
- Enlarged pores
- Actinic Keratosis (AK), a pre-cancerous skin condition
to book an appointment today.
WHAT is it?
Fraxel is an innovative, FDA-approved fractional laser procedure that revitalizes skin, producing a smooth, fresh glow. It may seem counterintuitive, but Fraxel works by gently creating “micro-injury” to produce macro-benefit.
Treatment is performed with a handheld device that splits a laser into thousands of tiny beams the size of one-tenth the diameter of a hair shaft. The beams in turn create thousands of “micro-wounds” as they penetrate targeted zones of the skin. It’s during the healing process that the magic happens. The procedure prompts the production of collagen, stimulating the skin to heal itself. Collagen is the main protein found in the skin and in other connective tissue. It supports the structure of the skin and makes it both firm and elastic. After a Fraxel treatment, damaged skin is pushed out and replaced by fresh, healthy, regenerated cells that emerge from below the surface.
Most Fraxel treatments take 15 minutes or less, and most patients report little to no discomfort. Afterward, patients say they feel as though they have a mild sunburn. Some go back to work right after the procedure. Others may experience swelling and redness for several days and prefer to stay home until it subsides.
Fraxel patients usually notice improvement within a week. As the “sunburn” heals, the old skin flakes off and is replaced by regenerated cells. It could take time to see the full effect, since collagen can continue to develop for as long as three to six months after the final treatment.
For best results, most people undergo roughly six or more treatments with the Fraxel laser.
WHY choose it?
- You can dramatically improve your appearance without going under the knife, facing the risks of general anesthesia and an extended recovery time.
- Treatment is quick, relatively pain-free, and the effects are long-lasting.
- There are significant health benefits if you have sun-damaged skin or cancerous lesions.
WHERE should you be treated?
Sophisticated laser equipment belongs in the hands of an experienced, highly trained doctor. Do your homework before you select a physician
- Get a referral from your primary care physician
- Choose a dermatologist or plastic surgeon; they have been specially trained to treat the skin
- Check to be sure that your doctor is board-certified, and that he or she is using true Fraxel technology
- Ask how many laser procedures the doctor has done
- Ask to see before and after photos of patients who have undergone the same procedure you want to have.
WHEN should you be treated?
- Fraxel treatments should usually be scheduled once a month for six months, followed by regular annual maintenance treatments.
- Downie suggests planning “Fraxel Fridays.” That way you have a weekend to recover if you do have some swelling and redness.
- If you want to have treatment so you can look your best for a special event, schedule your Fraxel sessions well in advance.
The best “W” of Fraxel Laser Treatment is the “Wow!” There’s the “Wow!” you’ll see when you look in the mirror. There’s the “Wow!” you’ll hear when your friends run into you after just one treatment. There’s the “Wow!” you’ll savor when you casually mention to others how old you’ll be on your next birthday.
After all, age is inevitable; aging isn’t, thanks to Fraxel!