Physician gives tips for successful Botox treatment
Located in Montclair, NJ, Dr. Jeanine Downie utilizes Botox as a treatment for fine lines. Botox is one of the most common cosmetic procedures. It treats the glabella, the frown lines or the “11’s” between the eyebrows. It is also used to treat the crow’s feet, forehead wrinkles, or lines around the mouth. In use for over 2 decades, Botox is a neuromodulator that relaxes facial muscles. After the injection into the muscles, the lines and wrinkles soften smoothing the skin.
For patients just entering the world of cosmetic injections or even for those with more experience, there are tips to remember to ensure a positive Botox experience.
- Find an experienced injector. As a board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Downie is experienced in facial procedures. She understands the lines, muscles, and structures of the face so she understands where and how to inject Botox for the best outcome.
- Be honest with your doctor and realistic with yourself. Having realistic expectations is important with any procedure. Your doctor will use your medical history as well as your experience with injectable treatments and your expectations to determine the units needed.
- Do not schedule your appointment the day of a big event. Botox is not immediately effective. It typically kicks in 3 to 10 days after treatment. If you want smoother skin for a particular event, schedule your appointment a couple weeks ahead of time.
- Avoid exercise and stay upright following your appointment. Follow your doctor’s advice after treatment as it is possible for Botox to migrate. Generally, it is best to avoid physical activity, yoga, and massaging the injection site to ensure proper placement.
- There is no right age to start. Whether you are searching for preventative treatments to avoid the formation of deep lines or your wrinkles have already developed, Botox works the same way to relax the muscles and smooth the skin.
We want your experience with Botox to be a positive one. Dr. Downie has years of experience with Botox and cosmetic treatments to keep patients looking refreshed. Contact our office today for an appointment. (973) 509-6900Back to Botox Page