Beyond double chin treatment: the little-known benefits of Kybella
Kybella double chin treatment earned FDA approval in 2015, and quickly became a favorite of men and women in Montclair, and around the world. There is a staggering array of fat removal treatments on the market, but Kybella is quite unique among them. It is an injectable medication, which permanently destroys fat cells.
About the Kybella procedure
The procedure is gentle and efficient, with little to no downtime. Right after injections, the area will swell, which is a sign that the formula is working. Gradually, swelling subsides and targeted fat cells are metabolized by the body, leaving the area a little smaller. Most patients will need between four and six treatment sessions, with progressive improvement. The result is comparable to liposuction, with needle-point precision.
Naturally, the distinctive characteristics of Kybella make it ideal for the treatment of double chin. However, that is not its only use. Dr. Downie of image Dermatology in Montclair is among the nation’s most experienced Kybella injectors, having served as an investigator during the initial clinical trials. She has found the formula to be equally effective in other (off-label) areas where precision fat removal is needed.
Kybella treatment areas include:
- Jowls – Kybella injections can be used in the jowl area, reducing sagging and helping to further contour the jawline
- Bra area – “Bra fat” is a common term given to protruding pockets of fat on the back and shoulders, which tend to bulge around the bra area in women.
- Knees – Accumulation of fat in this area, especially the inner knee, can distort the shapely curves of legs. It is traditionally difficult to treat, even with liposuction. However, it responds well to Kybella.
- Thighs – Fat on the outer thigh can accumulate, causing unwanted lumps. Excess fat on the inner thigh can prevent you from achieve the nicely shaped legs or coveted “thigh gap.”
- Abdomen – Dreaded love handles, or muffin tops don’t necessarily mean there is a lot of fat in the stomach region. It is more about the location of fat deposits, which cause them to spill over the waistband.
- Lipomas – These are soft, rubbery lumps under the skin. They can occur anywhere but are most common on the upper body. Technically classified as benign tumors, they are fatty growths in the soft tissue. Although harmless, many people find them unattractive or otherwise bothersome.
It is important to note that Kybella should only be administered by an experienced injector with specific training in this treatment, particularly when used off-label. In skilled hands, it is low risk and very effective. However, it is a powerful medication, capable of destroying other types of tissue in addition to fat. Safe and effective treatment requires precise judgement in selecting injection sites and depth, as well as dosage. For optimal safety, choose a Board-certified dermatologist with extensive knowledge of Kybella, and a long history, such as Dr. Downie.
to book an appointment today.
Kybella as part of a customized treatment plan
The greatest benefit of Kybella, as compared to other nonsurgical fat reduction options, is exacting precision and predictable results. In skilled hands, the treatment is so reliable that Dr. Downie sometimes refers to it as “liposuction in a needle.” It can be used to remove tiny fat pockets without affecting the surrounding tissue or to sculpt an area with fine detail. However, for the same reason its uses are limited.
Treating a large area one injection at a time wouldn’t be efficient. Instead, in areas such as the abdomen, Kybella is often part of a combination treatment plan. Other procedures may be used for overall body shaping, and Kybella injections to refine certain contours.
Body sculpting techniques commonly used together include:
- Vanquish uses non-contact energy to melt excess fat. It is capable of treating large areas of the body efficiently, and it is appropriate for patients with any BMI (body mass index). Therefore, it excels in removal of larger amounts of fat.
- EmSculpt and Futura Pro are next generation body contouring procedures that use energy pulses to tone and strengthen muscles, while reducing fat. They are ideal for muscular areas such as the abs or buttocks where you want to firm up and add definition.
- Exilis uses targeted radiofrequency energy to rejuvenate deep dermal and subdermal layers, where collagen production takes place. It also has some fat melting benefits, but its primary use is restoring elasticity and tightening lax skin.
- Kybella is an injectable medication for localized fat reduction. It is extremely reliable and precise when injected correctly. However, due to the nature of the treatment, it is not used for large areas.
If you are in or near Montclair, you are fortunate to have access to one of the nation’s premier Kybella physicians. Call image Dermatology at (973) 509-6900 and schedule a consultation with Dr. Downie to find out if you are a good candidate.
Back to Kybella Page